Timothy E. Baker is a 1978 graduate of the Indiana University School of Law, Indianapolis, IN, and was admitted to practice law in the State of Indiana in June of the same year. Upon obtaining his Doctorate of Jurisprudence, he returned to his home town of Decatur, Indiana, to practice law. He joined the DeVoss law firm and has been a member of this prominent firm ever since. Mr. Baker is a 1971 graduate of Bellmont High School and graduated from Purdue University in 1975 where he earned a Bachelor of Arts degree in Political Science.
While attending law school, Mr. Baker worked in the Indiana Secretary of State's Office, Corporations Division, Legal Department where he was responsible for reviewing and approving documentation filed for the creation or merger of business entities. In addition, while in law school, Mr. Baker clerked for the DeVoss law firm where he assisted in estate planning and administration, real estate and commercial transactions. Mr., Baker's practice has been concentrated in these areas, in addition to personal injury law and municipal law.
Over the years, Mr. Baker has acquired extensive experience in municipal law. He served as County Attorney for Adams County from 1989 through 1996. He has served as attorney for the Adams County Economic Development Corporation since 1989 and has served as the attorney for the Adams County Solid Waste Management District since 1991. Currently, he serves as City Attorney for tie City of Decatur, Indiana.
Tim firmly believes that as an attorney he has an obligation to give back to his community and help make ii a better place in which to live, work and raise a family. He has been actively involved in St, Mary's Parish and St. Joseph School by serving multiple terms on the Parish Pastoral Council and on the St. Joseph School Board. In addition, over the years he has volunteered for numerous Parish projects and has donated legal services to the Parish and School. He supports the United Way and is a past Board member of the Adams County Cancer Society. He assisted in the formation of the Boys & Girls Club of Adams County, Operation Help, Adams County Crime Stoppers and the Adams County Community Foundation. Currently, Tim serves the Foundation as a Board member, as its Treasurer and as its Finance Committee Chairperson.
Tim has been happily married to his wife, Kathy, for 35 years. He takes pride in his 3 children and has been blessed with 2 grandsons. As with his community, his family is important to him.
Mr. Baker enjoys the practice of law because he enjoys the challenge of finding or creating a solution to a problem, resolving a dispute, helping a client through a difficult time or making a client's dream become a reality. He does so in a thorough and professional way. He dedicates himself to his clients and treats them honestly, thoughtfully and with respect. It is no coincidence that over the years many of his clients have become good friends. He enjoys the practice of law and looks forward to being of service to those who are in need of legal assistance.
Areas Of Practice
- Estate Planning, Estate Administration
- Business Law
- Real Estate, Title Insurance
- Personal Injury
- Municipal Law
- Indiana, 1978
- U.S. District Court Northern District of Indiana, 1978
- U.S. District Court Southern District of Indiana, 1978
- Indiana University School of Law, Indianapolis, Indiana
- J.D. - 1978
- Purdue University, West Lafayette, Indiana
- B.A. - 1975
- Honors: Multiple Semesters - Dean's List
- Honors: President, Jr Year, Gomini Men's Co-op
- Major: Political Science
- City of Decatur, Indiana
- Decatur Dental Services, Inc.
- Adams County Solid Waste Management District
- Adams County Economic Development Corporation
- First Merchants Bank, N.A.
- Rebecca S. Cochran, CPA
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Indiana State Bar Association, 1978 - Present
- Adams County Community Foundation, Board Member
- Adams County Community Foundation, Treasurer
- Adams County Community Foundation, Finance Committee Chairperson
Past Employment Positions
- Indiana Secretary of State's Office, Corporations Division, Legal Department
- DeVoss Law Firm, Law Clerk
- Adams County, County Attorney, 1989 to 1996
- Adams County Economic Development Corporation, Attorney, 1989 to 1991
- Adams County Solid Waste Management District, Attorney, 1991 to 2009
Pro Bono Activities
- Board Member, Adams County Community Foundation, 2003
- Past Board Member of the Adams County Cancer Society
- Title Insurance